We are excited that you are considering a year of community, social justice, and simple and sustainable living with Lutheran Volunteer Corps!
Our 2015-16 application deadlines have passed.
If you have recently met a LVC rep at a recruiting event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org about an application extension.
Scroll down for the 2015-16 interviewing & placing timeline.
Applications for the 2016-17 program year will be available in October 2015.
Lutheran Volunteer Corps is a faith-based, full-time service and leadership program operating in 13 cities across the United States. Our mission is to unite people to work for peace with justice. We do this by placing Volunteers in full-time positions at social justice organizations for one year.
LVC volunteers come from a wide variety of faith backgrounds, and do not need to be Lutheran. Married and committed partners are welcome to apply. While there is no upper age limit, volunteers need to be at least 21 to participate. The program begins in mid-August of each year. The application deadlines are January 15 and April 1. All our volunteers live together in community and practice simple and sustainable living. LVC Volunteers receive a stipend which covers housing, food, transportation, health insurance, and personal expenses.
The LVC application and interview process is an ongoing discernment process. Completing the application and going through the LVC interview provides space for figuring out of LVC is the right fit for you and your gifts. If accepted to LVC, you then get to review our available placements (more than what’s listed on our website), as the next step in figuring out if LVC is the right fit for you. Your commitment to a year of service with LVC is not final until you are matched with a placement. So, to recap, we build in time to process what committing to a year of service means for you, and, we are excited to accompany you on this journey!
~ ~ ~
LVC Interviewing and Placing Timeline
LVC begins accepting applications in October for the following year of service. The Round One deadline is January 15, 2015 and Round Two is April 1, 2015. While there are quality Positions in every round, those who apply early will have a greater selection. Regardless of application date and Round of matching, all volunteers will have the same National Orientation beginning on August 8, 2015, and begin their service on August 17, 2015. Please contact the Recruitment & Outreach Manager before submitting an application if you miss the deadlines (email@example.com).
Application Process - Overview:
- Complete application online by one of the due dates; click here for an overview of the LVC volunteer application
- LVC staff will review applications and schedule select phone interviews
- Prior to your interview with LVC staff you will be asked to review our LVC Interview Preparation Guide
- If accepted, you will review a list of available LVC Positions (there are sometime multiple Positions at the same Placement Agency)
- Choose ten Positions for which you are interested in interviewing; LVC will assign you to 3 out of the 10 you chose
- After the interview, rank the Positions according to where your interests/skills best fit (Placements will also be ranking you)
- Using the rankings, LVC staff members match applicants with Positions
- Regardless of application date and Round of matching, all volunteers will have the same National Orientation beginning on August 8, 2015, and begin their service on August 17, 2015
Timeline for the 2015-16 application process:
Round One - January 15, 2015
- January 15: Applications due online
- January 16-January 22: Application review period
- January 23-February 9: Selected applicants interview with LVC representative
- February 13: Acceptance notification and list of available Positions available online
- By February 17: Applicants choose ten Positions for potential interviews and submit choices online
- February 24: Applicants informed of their Position interviews & given Placement contact information (up to 3 out of the 10 submitted)
- February 25 - March 10: Applicants interview with Placements over the phone
- By March 11: Submit rankings online
- March 17: Round One Matching Day! LVC staff match Applicants & Positions (Based on Applicant’s & Placement’s ratings)
- March 19: Final day for Applicant to accept or decline match
- August 8: Start your service with LVC!
- April 1: Applications due online
- April 1-15: Application review period & Selected applicants interview with LVC representative
- April 17: Acceptance notification and list of available Positions available online
- By April 20: Applicants choose ten Positions for potential interviews and submit choices online
- April 23: Applicants informed of their Position interviews & given Placement contact information (up to 3 out of the 10 submitted)
- April 24-May 6: Applicants interview with Placements over the phone.
- By May 7: Submit rankings online
- May 12: Round Two Matching Day! LVC staff match Applicants & Positions (Based on Applicant’s & Placement’s ratings)
- May 14: Final day for Applicant to accept or decline match
- August 8: Start your service with LVC!
LVC welcomes applications from international students who are currently studying in the US. Due to visa extension requirements issued by US State Department and Immigration Services, please contact Elizabeth Flomo, Recruitment & Outreach Manager at 612-787-8844 to discuss your application. All international student applicants are required to take the necessary steps to secure their visa extension. You may find more information at http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html#15.
LVC also has partnerships with service organizations in Germany and the United Kingdom. If you are a German or British resident/citizen, please contact Elizabeth Flomo at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about how to apply to LVC through our partner organizations in these countries.
If you are a foreign national in the U.S. under other circumstances, such as DACA, you are likely eligible to apply to LVC and we would welcome your application. At this time we are not able to accept applications from foreign nationals who are not currently in the United States unless it is via our partner organizations in Germany and the United Kingdom.